And here is one from one of my favourite writers of cautionary tales
GEORGE, WHO PLAYED WITH A DANGEROUS TOY
(and suffered a catastrophe of considerable dimensions)
When George’s Grandmamma was told
That George had been as good as gold,
She promised in the afternoon
To buy him an immense BALLOON,
So she did; but when it came, it got into the candle flame
And being of a dangerous sort
with a loud report!
The lights went out! T-he windows broke!
The room was filled with reeking smoke.
And in the darkness shrieks and yells
Were mingled with electric bells,
And falling masonry and groands,
And crunching, as of broken bones,
And dreadful shrieks, when worst of all,
The house itself began to fall!
It tottered, shuddering to and fro,
Then crashed into the street below-
Which happened to be Saville Row.
When help arrived, among the dead
(both of them),
The man that cleaned the Billiard-Room,
The Chaplain and
The Still-Room Maid.
And I am dreadfully afraid
The Monsieur Champignon, the Chef
Will now be
And both his Aides
are much the same;
While George, who was in part to blame,
Received, you will regret to hear,
A nasty lump
behind the ear!